Spinach and Ricotta Chicken Rollatini
dinner | moderate |
This delicious ricotta stuffed chicken cutlet takes chicken to a whole new level!
1 -10 oz Frescobene Marinara Sauce or Amatriciana Sauce
8 thin chicken cutlets, 3 oz each
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
6 tablespoons egg whites or egg beaters
5 oz frozen spinach, squeezed dry of any liquid
6 T. part skim ricotta cheese
6 oz. part skim mozzeralla, divided
olive oil non stick spray
- 1/2 c. whole wheat Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
1. Rinse and dry cutlets, season with salt and pepper.
2. Lightly spray a baking dish with non-stick spray.
3. For the coating of the chicken....combine breadcrumbs and 2 T. grated parmesan cheese in one shallow bowl and in a separate shallow bowl add 1/4 c. egg beaters or egg whites.
4. For the filling..... in a separate bowl, combine 4 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese with remaining grated parmesan cheese, spinach (make sure you squeeze it dry), 2 T. egg beaters, and ricotta cheese.
5. Lay chicken cutlets down on a working surface and spread 2 T. of spinach-cheese mixture on each cutlet. Loosely roll each one and place it seam side down.
6. Carefully dip chicken roll in egg mixture, then into breadcrumbs and place seam side down in a baking dish (no toothpicks needed).
7. Repeat with the remaining chicken. When finished, lightly spray with olive oil. Bake 25 minutes.
8. Remove from oven, top with sauce then remaining mozzarella cheese.
9. Bake until cheese is melted and bubbling, about 3 more minutes.
10. Serve with additional sauce on the side and grated cheese.