Zucchini Parmigiana with Frescobene Marinara Sauce
dinner | moderate |
2-3 large zucchini, washed and cut into 1/2-inch thick rounds (approximately 2 1/2 pounds)
Freshly ground black pepper
5 large eggs
4 c. Italian-style breadcrumbs
Vegetable oil, for frying, as needed, about 1 1/2 to 2 c.
1 1/2 pounds mozzarella cheese, cut into thin slices
1 handful fresh basil, leaves only, torn
2-10 oz. pouches Frescobene Marinara Sauce, thawed
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
1. In a bowl, combine the breadcrumbs with with salt and pepper.
2. In another bowl, whisk together the eggs and season with salt and pepper.
3. Dip each zucchini slice in the egg mixture, and then in the breadcrumbs. Make sure to coat both sides of each slice of zucchini.
4. Arrange them in single layers on a baking sheet, layering them on wax paper if necessary
5. In a large skillet, heat 1/2 inch of oil.
6. Once hot, add a single layer of zucchini to the pan. Cook them until they are golden brown, about 2 minutes on each side.
7. Remove from the oil and transfer to a baking sheet lined with a paper towel so the zucchini can drain as the others cook.
8. Season lightly with salt.
1. In a 9 by 13-inch baking dish, spoon about 1/2 c. of Frescobene Marinara Sauce on the bottom.
2. Top with a layer of the fried zucchini (the zucchini slices can overlap slightly).
3. Pour 1/2 c. sauce over zucchini
4. Top with about 1/3 of the mozzarella slices.
5. Repeat the layering 2 more times to make 3 layers.
6. Finish with remaining mozzarella.
7. Place the dish in the top part of the oven and cook for approximately 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
8. Once out of oven top with basil
Swap out zucchini for eggplant (courgette and aubergine for our English friends) and enjoy yet another delicious meal using Frescobene Sauce! This is a perfect dish to make ahead and freeze, especially for those extra busy nights!